Blistering sunny weather is common across Niagara in July which is a logical season to provide tips on skin care as it is UV Safety Awareness Month . In the past 30 years, people have gained awareness of the fact that the sun generates three types of radiation; UVA, UVB, & UVC. The Earth’s stratosphere only protects us from UVC, not UVA or UVB.
UV Safety Awareness Month in July
In fact, when people do not apply the proper sun protection regiment, both these ultraviolet radiations can cause skin cancer. The Canadian Cancer Society urges people to pay attention to the daily UV index following the results of a national survey which revealed many Canadians are putting themselves at risk of skin cancer. The survey found 41 per cent of respondents don’t pay attention to the UV index which measures the strength of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.
Conducted by Maru/Matchbox on behalf of Jamieson Vitamins and the Canadian Cancer Society, the national omnibus survey revealed the following points:
- Men are more likely to ignore the daily UV index than women with 46 per cent of males saying they don’t pay attention to it, compared to 37 per cent of females
- Younger Canadians are least likely to pay attention to the UV index: 56 per cent of 18 to 34-year-olds say they don’t pay attention to the UV index compared to 33 per cent of those aged 55 and older
- Five in ten (48 per cent) Canadians believe the sun is the safest source of vitamin D; 43 per cent of Canadians say getting a tan is important so they can get the vitamin D their body needs
- Young Canadians are more likely to believe the sun is an important source of vitamin D with 48 per cent of 18 to 34-year-olds agreeing a tan is important to get the vitamin D their body needs, compared to 40 per cent of those aged 55 and older
- 75 per cent of Canadians say that getting a little bit of colour from the sun makes them look healthier and 29 per cent of Canadians say they like to get a deep tan.
Learn more about fun in the sun and skin care when you meet the experts from Henderson’s Pharmacy at the Niagara Health Expo on Saturday, October 20, Hotel Dieu Shaver.
Read more articles on health and wellness in Niagara in our online blog